ARC BOOK REVIEW: The Breakdown

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris
Expected publication: July 18th 2017 by St. Martin’s Press

The Breakdown

Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods, on the winding rural road, in the middle of a downpour, with the woman sitting inside―the woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind; what could she have done, really? It’s a dangerous road to be on in the middle of a storm. Her husband would be furious if he knew she’d broken her promise not to take that shortcut home. And she probably would only have been hurt herself if she’d stopped.

But since then, she’s been forgetting every little thing: where she left the car, if she took her pills, the alarm code, why she ordered a pram when she doesn’t have a baby.

The only thing she can’t forget is that woman, the woman she might have saved, and the terrible nagging guilt.

Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her…

After failing to stop a murder, Cass now fights to keep her sanity, fuelled by guilt and early onset dementia. Cass struggles with her decent into madness. But is there more to it than meets the eye?

Although so tense, latterly ‘edge of your seat’ reading, the long build up takes up 90% of the book and the quick, sharp, shock ending takes up the remaining 10%. Plenty of review I have seen have said they don’t enjoy the writing style, and it can take a bit of getting used to, as you quickly approach the end of the book wondering how the conclusion can fit into a chapter or so. As I had just finished Paris’ first book; Behind Closed Door I had an idea of what to expect.

Personally I really enjoyed the long and winding road into craziness. Although focused on the one same subject the story is constantly evolving and moving forward. The deeper the madness goes the more I began to question everything; Who is it? Can I trust Cass? Is she crazy? Is it me misunderstanding?

After so much tension and suspicion building until becoming almost suffocating the quick sharp shock of the ending is exactly what I needed.

Although I felt nothing for any of the characters, main or otherwise, however that doesn’t detract from the storyline, this being a mostly plot driven book as was B A Paris’ first book.

Most of the plot was awfully predictable but the plot was less of a more done it and more of what will happen? How will Cass get out?

I find what B A Paris does best is bring to light your very worst fears that you never knew you had.

Neither the first (Behind Closed Doors) nor the second (The Breakdown) took me more than two sittings to read.

The Breakdown was a great ‘page turner’ filled with dread, mind games and tension. I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a great psychological thriller with no emotional attachment that will keep you up all night.

Overall it was a strong 4.5 STAR read.

You can check out the author… HERE 

Thank you NetGalley, St Martins Press, and B A Paris


Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below & follow for more content

You can find my other reviews…. here

INSTAGRAM GOODREADS 

THANK YOU FOR READING

FullSizeRender (5)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s